Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Momma said there'd be days like this...

I woke up this morning fully energized and ready to take on anything that came at me.  Knowing I had work to do that the medical center, I ventured on over there after I had filled out the long term plan for the club with my partner teacher.

We agreed to discuss how we would handle today's new lesson for the upcoming week after I had returned.

I will be attending a peace corps seminar next weekend and need to go with a partner from the hospital.  I asked the ladies at reception to send the message, but upon my arrival, I realized the message wasn't received as well as I had hoped.

I decided to go straight to the top, the boss, and was surpised to observe how well my romanian has come along.  More news tomorrow about this matter.

I returned to the school and had met with both partners at the highschool.  We were in agreement.  I attended my first lecture with my 7th graders.  They are possibly the most difficult to control.  We got through our work ok until the end when they started talking out of turn, talking in english (which is a no go in my classroom), hitting each other...being kids basically.  It was almost as if they were testing me and my partner, both of us have never taught such a large amount of children before.  It was a lot to handle.  I'm not sure how it happened, but I ended up giving them a 10 lecture on respect.  Which then turned into homework, a whole page about what respect means to them (for a grade of course)

After thinking my troubles were over with.  I went to my other lession with a different teacher.  Our experience last week was pleasant, so I was assuming things would be similar this week.

It wasn't.

I started off by explaining that I had given the 7b class homework about respect.  And if they work nicely, we would do a fun activity I had saved just for them.  At first it seemed as if it would work, but towards the end, they were more difficult than our first group.  Again, I gave the same lecture but slightly different.

They got 2 pages about respect in the classroom (of course, for a grade)

I left the class fairly frustrated, it must've shown because a couple students chased me out of the classroom and had apologized.  I accepted the apology and wished them a good day.  I went to the computer lab and graded 40 some-odd pretests while my partner teacher dealt with her primary job in her office.

Let's see how tomorrow goes.

_Ahmad

No comments:

Post a Comment