Thursday, August 27, 2009

no news is bad news.















Is this thing called the...internet? I forgot how to use this amazing creation. I also forgot a little bit of English, so if I use the same words over and over. Ma-scuzi. So much has happened to me since, oh my word when did I leave the states. JUNE! So much has happened since June 10. I would explain it all in detail but today is a holiday and I have some serious resting to do.

My name is Ahmad Abdul. I live in Moldova. As of last week, I am officially a Peace Corps Volunteer. However, it should be mentioned that this blog is solely my opinion and does not reflect the Peace Corps in any way, shape, or form. This is my story...
Sometime in June, around 60 potential volunteers departed from JFK International. The trip was long with tons of layover time, and plenty of, "look what the cat dragged in" kind of stares.

When we arrived in Chisinau, we were greeted by current volunteers. I can't explain to you in words how good it felt to have such a reception after some of the things we'd been through.

Personally, my bags were sent to Istanbul rather than Chisinau. Alone, I bought a Visa, went through passport control, lost and found, customs, and re-checked my bags for Moldova.

Thank you, lady at JFK international.

We hit the ground running with a couple days of language training in the capital, a site that would serve as our swearing in location 3 months later. We learned the "survival phrases" I need water, Hello, Good Day, Give me a beer please, I am American...I need beer.

After a couple days of this, we were split into job-specific groups. I lived in a village just outside of Chisinau named Rusestii Noi along with 6 other Future Health Education Volunteers.

We trained on language and our job skills practically every day. I made a lot of friends both American and Moldova. But when training was over, it was time to pack our bags yet again for our swearing in ceremony.

There we were officially named as Peace Corps Volunteers. We then split up as individuals and embarked to our permanent sites.

I now live in a beautiful raion center which has everything my town in the U.S. has...except maybe a Boarders bookshop. Damn, I could go for a Chuck Palahniuk novel right now.

I begin my work teaching Health Education on September 1st. I'll be teaching in Romanian with 2 different partner teachers. A little nervous considering I have never taught a class before, and my partners have never either.

I will also work at a....ok, I can't think...what is it called. Health Center! Yes! I remembered. Not sure what my work will entail, but with a Food Science degree (not a chef) I can maybe drop some knowledge on Listeria monocytogenes.

So, yeah. It's been a wild ride, and I'm 0 months in on a 24 month committment. I am going to be awesome.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment